The Santuario di Madonna di San Luca is a church located in Bologna, Italy, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It is known for its iconic portico of 666 arches, which stretches for nearly 4 kilometers and leads up to the church.
The church is located on a hilltop and offers panoramic views of the city. The original church on the site was constructed in the 12th century, but the current structure dates back to the 18th century because it was redone over the years. The sanctuary is a popular pilgrimage site and a major tourist attraction in Bologna.
How to explore Santuario di Madonna di San Luca?
- The iconic portico of 666 arches is one of the main attractions of the sanctuary and walking along it offers a unique perspective of the city.
- Inside the church, you'll find several works of art, including frescoes and sculptures. The church also contains a number of chapels, each with its own unique history and art.
- The sanctuary is located on a hilltop, providing you with breathtaking views of Bologna and the surrounding countryside.
- The church is a working place of worship, and you are welcome to attend mass.
- Guided tours of the sanctuary are available, which will provide you with added information on the history, art, and architecture of the church and portico.
- The sanctuary has a museum that contains religious art, relics, and artifacts of the sanctuary and its history. Explore the museum to learn more about history.
- Beautiful gardens and woods surround the sanctuary. You can enjoy the natural beauty and peaceful surroundings.