Avignon, France's Lapidary Museum is a lapidarium-museum. Since the 1980s, it has held the Calvet Museum's classical Etruscan, Roman, Greek, and Gallo-Roman artifacts and sculptures. The Fondation Calvet oversees both. In addition to displaying the museum's main collections, it hosts summer temporary exhibitions, conferences, and networking activities, notably for academics.
The museum is located at 27 street de la République, in a 17th-century edifice that was once the Jesuit College chapel. It was started in 1616, initially following ideas by Étienne Martelange and subsequently, from 1620 on, by François de Royers de la Valfenière. On June 21, 1928, the structure was designated a historic monument.
1st century AD, Apollo Sauroctonus, head missing
2nd century BC, a woman in chiton and chlamys, the head is lost.
Athena in a peplos, Amalthea in goat skin, the Gorgoneion, and a plumed Corinthian helmet adorned with rams' heads
The collections include Etruria, classical Greece and Rome, and the Gallo-Roman era, as well as Gallic and Early Christian art. The Lauris-Puyvert Stela in ologenic limestone is the showpiece of the prehistoric collections. Vases and lamps, as well as bas-reliefs and statues, are among the Roman, Etruscan, Greek, and Gallic antiquities on display, along with several Etruscan funeral monuments.
A marble stela depicts a young woman in a tunic and mantle between two Doric columns, with a female slave gifting her with a duck Attican, 399-375 BC - A young woman in a peplos and tunic holds her hand to her hair.
Menodotos Stela - A woman in a chiton and himation sits on a stool near a standing man, framed by a triangular pediment and two Corinthian columns.
Stela of Glykon and his son Tateis, 4th century BC, upper register depicting Hecate in her triple form with Men to the left, Demeter to the right, and a crescent moon in the backdrop; lower register depicting busts of a lady and a boy.
65 rue de la Republique, 84000, Avignon, France